Monday, June 14, 2010

A Good Walk Spoiled or a Spoiled Golfer?


I went golfing on Friday. I hooked up with Greensboro College women's basketball coach Randy Tuggle and we headed to Jamestown Park Golf Course.

Now, I like Jamestown. It's five minutes from my house. It's affordable and not too difficult. It's also walkable.

And usually it's a breeze to play. But not on Friday.

We showed up a about 1 p.m. and took another duo's tee time. (Well, we didn't take it, they did not show.) We paid our 18 hole fee to ride and were off.

The first few holes were smooth. However, at the par 3 fourth hole we got backed up. No problem.

The next five holes we were caught up to two groups ahead of us. We found out why we were on their backs.

One guy sat in the cart while the other teed off. After that, the second guy sauntered to his bag, grabbed a club and got ready to tee off. There was no urgency and certainly none of the "Ready Golf" I try to play when there's a hint of crowds.

The other g group? We then got a glimpse of a guy throwing up blades of grass for his second shot. Trust me: there was no wind. It was 95 degrees and windless all day.

Another clue came on a later hole. A group of duffers were playing from the back tees. One tee shot hit a house adjacent to the same hole's white tees.

After 9 holes we asked for a rain check. The good folks at JPGC gladly obliged.

I started thinking and realized how lucky I am. It's rarely like this in Greensboro, N.C. We usually can walk up, get a tee-time and play hassle free.

This was not the case in my home state of California.

There, I always called for a tee-time--if you could get one. A party of two would be slotted with another duo. I would have to wait on tee boxes like I did on Friday more often than not.

C'mon golfers, read the Ready Golf rules posted in the cart.

Then, I got to wondering am I being a curmudgeon, am I spoiled or should those dudes be banned from the links for life?

Feedback requested.



1 comment:

  1. Well, I think, if you are a real estate photo editor like me, or a golf player, practice makes perfect. Do not stop try and moving forward! You can nail it!

    ReplyDelete